Saturday, June 22, 2013

How To: Fix a Broken Flip-Flop

I broke one of my flip-flops the other day, and just as I was browsing Amazon for a new pair, I decided to search online for a way to salvage it.  I do love the internet, because sure enough, I found a tutorial that helped me do just that, and it was so easy!

This round nubby thing that holds the flip-flop thong in place is the part that broke off, so instead of throwing away the whole sandal, I just made a new "nubby thing".



1. Punch a hole at the end of the broken thong where the nub fell off.  I used a hammer and nail.



2. Use pliers and a small paper clip (or some wire) to fashion a new "nubby thing".  Straighten out the ends of the paper clip so that it looks like a bobby pin and clamp down on the "U".




3. Thread the flattened paper clip through the hole in the rubber thong.



4. Using the pliers, bend the legs of the paper clip.



5. Trim off excess wire so that your "nubby thing" fits in the recess.




And voila!  You've raised your broken flip-flop back from the dead!


See, easy, right?  I must say, I'm pretty proud of my MacGyver self, tinkering away in the garage like that.  It's not quite saving the world, but it's something!  :)

1 comment:

Samantha said...

That is SO clever and resourceful!!! You should pin this blog post and see it gets around the Pinterest world!